Monday, March 19, 2012

Finishing and Starting...

Slice of Life Story Challenge Hosted by Ruth and Stacey of Two Writing Teachers 


And....
Teach Mentor Texts
It's Monday! What are you reading? 


Reading for me:
I finished reading Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins. I  am hooked again by these characters that I put away in December. Mockingjay is at the ready, a little afraid I won't be able to put it down. 

Reading for my children:
We finished Pirates Past Noon and Night of the Ninjas this week. Onto book six! My son is in a competition with his teacher; she is reading them to the class and he is determined that we must get to book ten before she does! 



My daughter's favorite book last week was Camilla the Cupcake Fairy by T. Bugbird. It is all things sparkle, treat and magic. Very cute rhymes too. It confirmed for my daughter that she "needs" pink cupcakes on her birthday!

Reading for my students:
We are doing an author study on all things Audrey Wood. The students immediately loved Quick as a Cricket as well as The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear. However, a new one for me was Elbert's Bad Word. It is quite funny and the bad word that Elbert utters in the story is never actually revealed but instead represented by a furry little creature. The class was fascinated! Not surprising, anything that has to do with a "bad word" is like gold if you want  a five year-olds attention!
Another new one, just released this month, was Blue Sky. It is, of course, beautifully illustrated and is a concept book, (storm sky, moon sky, rainbow sky). The page I included here is "Dream Sky." This was my classes favorite page and now I think we all have to make a dream sky drawing for another class book! I will try to post when it is finished. She seems to use pastels, so I think we will experiment with her technique too!

4 comments:

Robin said...

I always love to check in and see what you are reading. I recently saw the new Blue Sky book at our school book fair. It didn't make it into my cart this year, however. I'll have to add it before next year's author study. I look forward to seeing the class book when you post it!

elsie said...

Oh goody! A new Audrey Wood book, I will have to look for it. Check out Amy Rosenthal's book Plant a Kiss for your daughter. It's got sparkles too.

Jen Vincent said...

How exciting to be reading through the Hunger Games series for the first time! I kind of held off on Mockingjay myself because I didn't want to be let down. I'm guessing you won't be able to put it down once you start, the cliffhangers at the end of the chapters are amazing in Mockingjay.

Danny said...

It's a lovely decision to make for the children to attract them into reading books. You can try to write for the child by yourself, which you think is suitable. You can publish new age book, which will be uncut. You can develop yourself through writing in new topics.