Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"Head Full of Doubt--Road Full of Promise" The Avett Brothers

I was reading song lyrics this morning, kind of looking for inspiration. I love music, I always have, it's in my blood. I get to see the Avett Brothers perform in late May and was drawn to one of their songs. As I read the lyrics to one of my favorites I couldn't help thinking of my students, a few in particular. 

Their heads are so full of dreams...



"Mrs. Hubbard, when I grow up I'm going to be an artist!" 
"I will come to your gallery B."

I look at them and I hope that they will never be filled with doubt, that they will never feel discouraged, knowing they will have tough times ahead...

"I'm going to be an author when I grow up and write books!"
"I will read your books P."

I hope that I can pave a road of promise for each of them, at least a start in the right direction...

"Mrs. Hubbard, when I grow up I want to be a teacher."
"So many lucky children will learn from you K."


Decide what to be and go be it!


The Avett Brothers
Head Full of Doubt - Road Full of Promise 


There's a darkness upon me that's flooded in light
In the fine print they tell me what's wrong and what's right
And it comes in black and it comes in white
And I'm frightened by those who don't see it

When nothing is old deserved or respected
And your life doesn't change by the man that's elected
If you're loved by someone you're never rejected
Decide what to be and go be it.

There was a dream
One day I could see it
Like a bird in a cage I broke in and demanded that somebody free it
And there was a kid, with a head full of doubt
So I scream till I die and don't ask for those bad thoughts to find me out

There's a darkness upon you that's flooded in light
In the fine print they tell you what's wrong and what's right
And it flies by day and it flies by night
And I'm frightened by those who don't see it.

3 comments:

elsie said...

So much encouragement for your little ones. They can be anything they want to be. Confidence, that's what you give them.

Stacey Shubitz said...

The responses you give to your kids are priceless. You are giving them a wonderful gift through your encouragement by telling them exactly how you'll respond or how lucky others will be from their work. :)

Robin said...

I love the way you responded to your students. They may not always remember what you said to them, but they will remember how you made them feel special. That is a special gift. Guess I better check out this Avett Brothers song!