Saturday, November 30, 2013

Chalk-A-Bration November 2013

Happy Chalk-A-Bration Day! It is chilly here in Michigan. Glad I bought lots of chalk before the warm weather turned off.
So today marks a first for me on Chalk-A-Bration. My kids and I decided to chalk at night on this long weekend away from school.
Here is Elliot doing a little star gazing.


Here is Elliot's poem about a bat.

Bats bats
how they fly.
All around in the sky
I see a mosquito
then I don't.
The bat it flutters
in the night.
I like to watch 
them eat the bugs 
on this really great night.


Janie hard at work.


Here is her poem about a butterfly.


Butterflies butterflies
first a caterpillar.
Butterflies butterflies
they dream of nothing.
Butterflies butterflies
they munch munch
and crunch crunch.
Butterflies butterflies
sleep in your chrysalis.
Butterflies butterflies
wakes up in the morning.
I'm a butterfly.
I fly high high high high high 
into 
the sky.


Night chalking was fun. It was a little twist on something we do so often at my house, making it a bit more exciting! When I told my kids we were going to do night chalking I should have had my camera ready. Their faces lit up confirming for me this was a good idea. 


night stillness
night beams
night noises
night dreams

2 comments:

Margaret Simon said...

Beautiful night poems. Your children are wonderful poets. Love the repetition in Butterfly and the disappearing mosquito.
My students and I wrote Thanku chalk poems before our Thanksgiving break. And, by the way, I did get pancakes this morning. Yum!
http://reflectionsontheteche.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/thanku-chalk-a-bration-celebration/

Linda B said...

Love this 'break' with tradition, Betsy. I don't think I'm going to make it this time, perhaps later in the day. I love your poem, just right!